I almost ruined an incredible bag with my lipstick, biro and powder. So, I read up on how to care for handbags and decided to share some helpful tips with you.
The most common however hidden rule of handbag care is to always protect your bag with a protection cream/treatment (I had never heard of this, I didn’t even know there was special cream for handbags). I read that this should be done from day one and applied at least once every two to three months.
The general way to clean your handbag is to wipe once a week with warm, soapy water. Mix a small amount of mild liquid soap to warm water and use a soft damp cloth to wipe away any dirt from the outside of your handbag. For more stubborn stains, read on.
How To Clean Your Handbag
The first thing to do is know the kind of stain, is it oil or dirt? Pen or grease? Knowledge of the type of stain helps you know the best method to clean your purse.
- For Pen and Pencil Marks, use an eraser gently as overdoing it could cause permanent discoloration to the piece.
- For Oil or Grease Stains, wipe excess oil or grease off the surface with absorbent paper and then leave it alone as the spot should dissipate into the leather in time. Do not apply water and try to wash away the oil or grease.
- For Dirt Stains, use any mild liquid wash. Softly stroke the dirty spots until clean. Use a damp cloth to clean.
- Scruff Marks (on Leather) can easily be removed using toothpaste and a damp cloth, you can lightly buff away at the scuff mark on your shoe until it completely fades away.
You can also use a rubber eraser, vaseline, essential oil, or nail polish remover.
- Ink Marks, try a special ink removing product for leather and follow the care instructions, making sure to condition the area afterwards and leave to dry properly.
How to clean your handbag
- Empty all pockets and shake gently to remove dust and debris.
- Clean interior of bag by gently pulling it inside out and using a lint roller. If you can’t pull out the lining of your handbag, you can use the fabric brush attachment on your vacuum.
- Clean exterior of leather bag with alcohol free baby wipes.
Tips for keeping the interior clean
- Never put a pen in your purse without a cap on it.
- Keep makeup in a separate makeup bag.
How to keep your handbag
- Keep the bag in the storage bag it came with. If you threw this away or it didn’t come with any, improvise.
- Handbags shouldn’t always be hung on hook because it puts too much strain on the straps.
- If the bag doesn’t have a defined shape, stuff it with clothes or anything you can find.
- Your handbag needs to breathe, don’t crowd your hand bags, stand them upright or lay them down.
- Keep your leather bags in a cool, dry, well ventilated environment away from excessive humidity in order to prevent your bags from drying out or cracking.
Don’t use vinegar or homemade remedies to remove any stain on your bag. Some of these products can damage the colour.
Do not use water to clean stains.
Don’t hold your handbag if you just applied cream. They can cause grease stains.
Don’t use detergent on your handbags.
Don’t wear light colour handbags with dark clothing. The dye may transfer to the handbag.
Image Source Instagram